International Student Charrette
IFLA2020 International Student Charrette
Date: 10-12 August 2020
Venue: USM Centre for Marine and Coastal Studies (CEMACS), Teluk Bahang
Meeting Point & Time:
3:00pm @ Penang National Park Entrance, Teluk Bahang
Online Registration Deadline:
1st June 2020
Registration closed at 6.00 pm (Malaysia Time: UTC or GMT +8)
JOINTLY ORGANISED BY
IFLA2020 International Student Charrette
The International Student Charrette of the 57th IFLA World Congress, World Landscape Architects Summit 2020 is an intensive workshop open to all students of Landscape Architecture and other allied disciplines related to the built environment or sustainable studies.
The Student Charrette will provides an excellent learning opportunity for participants in an intensive period of learning, design and planning, working as individuals and in a team, by professionals and experts in global environmental issues. Our planet is on the brink. Our mission is to support culture, protect human health and the environment.
The Student Charrette is jointly organised by the Institute of Landscape Architects Malaysia (ILAM) and International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA). The Student Charrette will be hosted by the School of Housing, Building and Planning, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) and will be held at the Centre for Marine and Coastal Studies (CEMACS), USM Penang from 10th to 12th August 2020.
THE VENUE: CEMACS
The Centre for Marine and Coastal Studies (CEMACS) was established in August 1991 to undertake research and post-graduate training in Marine Science and Coastal Ecosystems. CEMACS is located at Teluk Aling the northwest coast of Penang Island in the Penang National Park. The centre’s international associates include those from Canada, Australia, USA, UK, Japan, Cambodia, Indonesia, India, Iran, Australia, China, Singapore, Vietnam and Denmark.
- To encourage thoughtful and innovative solutions in combating the environmental issues that diminish our finite resources and natural ecosystems;
- To experience, recreate in, and steward more natural ecosystems to nurture ecological place meaning and protect the environment via different creative platforms;
- To create an innovative atmosphere in which a diverse group of participants can collaborate to “generate visions for the future” as the theme of IFLA2020 is “Future Tense”.
THEME: SAVE OUR PLANET
It is not too late to Save Our Planet. Through works with objects and materials from nature, the students seek new forms of solutions to protect the environment. We believe that there is a need to hear a lot more from landscape architects in the future as they play a significant role in protecting the environment. There has long been a misunderstanding about what they actually do – “something about gardens” being a common response. But the diversity and scale of work in landscape architecture is huge, and the mix of skills and expertise required shows real promise for dealing with the pressing issues facing the environment. Whether climate change or urbanisation, population growth or densification, landscape architects have ideas for how to make our future environment liveable, workable, sustainable and beautiful.
The IFLA2020 International Student Charrette divided into 4 Gems as below:
THE 4 GEMS
PLASTIC IS NOT FANTASTIC!
Plastic has been crown as the biggest threat and problem in environment currently. Besides learning about plastic pollution, participants will experience and expose to the marine and forest ecosystem during tour to the smallest forest but the richest in biodiversity of Penang National Park. Also, they will have exciting and fun activities encountering the diverse of marine invertebrates from sandy and rocky shore.
CEMACS (indoor), Beach and Forest
REUSE, RECYCLE AND ART IN NATURE
Participants will express and showcase their talents and creativity in creating contemporary art work using sources from surrounding landscape. This fun-creative activities is also a platform for them to build a sense of awareness in battling plastic pollution and also as an appreciation of our infinite resource in our local ecosystems.
THE CONCERT OF NATURE
It is more than a concert. Participants will assemble to learn and experience, to listen and explore the surrounding nature, to use the nature as inspiration to change perceptions and minds, to motivate people, and to positively impact the nature with which we co-habitate.
MINGLE WITH NATURE
Participants will experience the beautiful coastal rainforest during hiking out to Pasir Pandak, Teluk Tukun and actively involve in interactive learning pursuits about the river ecosystem and its communities. It will be a lifetime excitement to appreciate about beautiful freshness nature, diverse flora and fauna from the river ecosystem itself.
River and Forest
DRESS CODE: Outdoor Casual
Please bring suitable outfit for outdoor and water recreational activities:
- Lightweight shirts (short/long sleeve) sweater, rain coat (optional).
- Pants: Track bottom, cargo pants etc.
- Footwear: Sport shoes/hiking boot that cover the entire foot, sandal.
- Loose jewelry is not permitted.
An entry fee is required for each participant. The entry fee of MYR 350 (Ringgit Malaysia) is required to be paid at the time of entry registration online.
Registration Fees inclusive of the followings (10-12 August 2020):
- Charrette activities and materials provided at CEMACS USM during the Student Charrette
- One way boat transfer from Penang National Park Jetty to CEMACS USM (during arrival)
- A proof of enrollment at a university / school or course in landscape Architecture and other disciplines related to the built environment or sustainable studies is required upon registration (For example: a letter of recommendation/letter from school/transcript of records, in PDF format).
- Any payment made are not refundable and not transferable.
- The students will need to pay for their own travel expenses to and from Penang, and transportation to meeting point at Penang National Park Entrace at Teluk Bahang,their accommodation and other expenses before and after the Student Charrette.
- Please direct further enquiries regarding the Student Charrette to the email address: email@example.com. The subject of the email should begin with tag #Charrette. E.g. #Charrette – Enquiry.